Turn fresh picked apples in to a delicious treat with this easy apple fritter recipe. Mix chopped apples in a simple dough and cook in butter for a fresh, fall treat.
Hello Create. Craft. Love! My name is Camille and you can usually find me over on my blog, Growing Up Gabel. For the next few months, though, I’ll be right here the second Thursday of every month sharing a delicious and easy new recipe. Since it’s now September I thought I’d jump right in with an easy and delicious apple recipe.
This recipe is actually from my 1st grade teacher. I have an old copy that was mimeographed that has survived the years since 1st grade. I grew up on the western side of Michigan and my class went on a field trip to the apple orchard. When we got back to school, we made fritters with the apples we picked. Every time I taste these, it brings me back to that classroom.
Start by mixing up the dough. It’s really easy to make and is pretty thick and tacky. Mix it up and set it aside. I cut up the apples last so the don’t get too brown.
You will want to core, peel and then dice up 2 small to medium sized apples. I used granny smith but galas or any other apple will work as well. I use an apple peeler and corer to make the process easier. It takes up very little room in my cabinets and gets a lot of use in the fall every year. This handy gadget takes about 5 seconds to peel, core and slice your apples!
See? Pretty nifty, eh? If you like to bake or cook with apples, it’s worth getting one!
Mix the diced apples in to the dough and then fry in butter in a frying pan. You want to use butter – not oil – for the flavor. I use a 3 Tablespoon cookie scoop to measure the dough and get about 6 fritters out of 1 batch.
You can sprinkle them with a little powdered sugar or make an icing for the top but they are just as good plain. These are perfect snacks for a chilly afternoon or weekend treat.
This post contains affiliate links.
Don’t these look amazing? This recipe is on my to-make list this fall!
Be sure to follow along with Camille at Growing Up Gabel!
Easy Apple Fritter Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 2 small - medium apples
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt, sugar and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, milk, and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Set aside.
- Core, peel and finely chop the apples. Mix the apples in to the dough.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat. When the pan is hot add 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- When butter is melted, drop scoops of the dough on to the pan. Spread the batter out a little bit so the fritter is a bit flat. Cook on one side for about 5 minutes. Flip over and continue to cook until the dough around the edges is cooked and the fritter is cooked through. This will take between 5-10 additional minutes - just be sure not to burn them.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar, icing, or plain.