Chinese New Year begins January 28th! Are you ready? We use these holidays to teach our son about different cultures and traditions from around the world. Traditionally this was a holiday to celebrate deities and ancestors. Much like our new year, the Chinese clean the house to cleanse the house of any bad fortune and usher in good luck for the following year. They have a lot of different fun traditions including red envelopes. Red envelopes are usually given to children and contain money. I mean, who wouldn’t like that?! You can celebrate the Chinese New Year too with these DIY Chinese Red Envelopes, food and fun!
Now that P.F. Chang’s Home Menu® offers family sized skillet meals, it’s even easier to throw together a fun celebration! This new line of skillet meals was launched in January of 2017 and are sure to be a hit! These are perfect for larger households and provide a convenient way to enjoy P.F Chang’s at home.
Family Size Chicken Fried Rice, made with authentic Thai Jasmine Rice sourced from Thailand, Sambal, a traditional Asian ingredient that brings a little spice to the dish, white meat chicken, carrots and scrambled eggs.
The Chicken Fried Rice was the perfect addition to our Chinese New Year celebration! We paired it with the Signature Chicken Dumplings and Egg Rolls.
They also have a Family Size Orange Chicken skillet meal made with real Orange Peel and other carefully selected ingredients that allow caramelization of the sauce, replicating the wok cooking process. The P.F. Chang’s Home Menu® features traditional flavors such as michu wine and oyster sauce which are integral in Asian cuisine. The sauce is made from scratch which allows you to maintain the authenticity of the food and flavors at home! They are one of our favorite mid-week dinner options!
These DIY Chinese Red Envelopes were the final touch on our Chinese New Year celebration. Instead of adding real money, I stuffed them with chocolate gold coins as a fun after dinner treat idea!
The red envelopes are quite easy to make! Follow these simple steps below!
- Begin with two pieces of red paper.
- Fold one corner over.
- Cut along the edge to create a square.
- Use this square as a template.
- Place on top of the other red piece of paper and trace a line.
- Cut along the line.
- Turn paper so it appears as a diamond. Fold one corner in to the middle.
- Fold the opposite corner in to the middle.
- Next, fold the bottom up to the middle.
- Fold the top down so it overlaps where the other corners meet.
- Add a fun Chinese new year card (optional)
- Next, add gold confetti and chocolate gold coins.
- Use gold paint pen and gold glitter washi tape to decorate the outside of the envelope.
- Add gold glitter washi tape to the top and bottom edges of the front of the envelope.
- Draw the Chinese symbol for luck with the gold paint pen.
- Seal with a piece of washi tape on the back.
For more great ideas, visit the P.F. Chang’s Home Menu® Pinterest board!
I’m also hosting a giveaway! See below for details.
The giveaway prizes will be:
Grand Prize Winner: $500 grocery gift card and Wok
Runners Up: $100 grocery gift card and Wok
Enter through the Rafflecopter below!
I’d love for you to pin this image!
Share this image on Facebook!