Cheddar Jalapeno Sausage Breakfast Casserole
There are a lot of things I love in this world. Like, having breakfast together as a family on Saturday mornings. And spending as little time as possible from kitchen to table. This dish is made with link sausage – I used Bar S Jalapeno & Cheddar Cheese Smoked Sausage – but it’s equally delicious with any variety. The base ingredients remain the same, so be sure to experiment with different ingredient additives and spices. We let the sausage be the star of the show, and in this case that star is particularly spicy.
For a 9×13 casserole, I chop 6 sausage links – that’s half a family pack, or about 16oz. Depending on your meat preferences, use more or less. Toss it into a frying pan with a little bit of fat and brown over medium heat.
When the sausage is browned, add to a bowl with hash browns, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
Pour mixture into a 9×13 pan, spreading until it’s distributed evenly. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and heavy cream, then pour over the top.
Serve hot with your choice of toppings. We love to use hot salsa, with a dollop of sour cream to cut the heat. I always choose the condiments based on the type of sausage I used – in this case, I wanted to keep the spicy theme going! I have three starving teenage boys at home, so if this is too much for you, the recipe easily halves. Leftovers can also easily be frozen & reheated later. Enjoy!
30 oz bag of country style hash brown shredded potatoes
16oz Cheddar Jalapeno Smoked Sausage
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp butter (to coat the pan)
1. Place butter into bottom of 9×13 pan and place in cold oven. Preheat oven to 375*F.
2. Dice and brown sausage
3. In a large bowl, combine sausage, potatoes, cheese, salt, and pepper.
4. Remove 9×13 pan from oven & turn to allow melted butter to coat the bottom.
5. Add ingredients to hot pan & distribute evenly.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and heavy cream together.
7. Pour over top of sausage/potato mixture.
8. Bake in 375*F oven for 40-50 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with no liquids. Adjust baking time as necessary, as ovens vary.
9. Serve hot with your choice of toppings & enjoy!