Lighted Burlap Garland

Funny side story:  I had a hard time titling this post.  In my head, “lit” burlap garland flowed off the tongue much better than Lighted Burlap Garland.  However, I know that lighted can also be used.  I even asked my teacher friend, Sarah at Becoming Martha, who was no help!  LOL  Had to use the power of the Internet to find my answer!  Turns out “lit” is if you are using it as a verb.  ”Lighted” is when you are using it as an adjective.  English lesson = done.  You can thank me later.

I love Christmas lights!  One of the first things I ever pinned was a post about wrapping ribbon around the wire part of the light string to spruce it up a bit.  Since I am going with a rustic Christmas theme this year, I decided to use burlap to create this Lighted Burlap Garland.

Lighted Burlap Garland via createcraftlove.com #burlap #25daysofchristmas #garland

Wanna create your own Lighted Burlap Garland?

Here’s what you need:

Burlap ribbon

White mini lights

Scissors

burlapgarlandsupplies

I cut the burlap into 8-10 inch pieces.  Then I cut those pieces down the vertically down the middle.

burlapgarland1

Choose a pattern you want to use.  Start tying those burlap strips around the wire.

burlapgarland2

Repeat.  Over. And. Over.

I sat down and watched Rio with Reed while tying the burlap to the light string.  I gotta tell you.  It turned out way better than it did in my head!  I love how it looks against my mantel decorations!

Isn’t it pretty?

signature

About the author

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. Author: Jill Fritz is a full time outside the home working mommy turned craft blogger. She offers craft/DIY tutorials for Pinterest addicts, craft junkies, DIY fanatics and busy mamas. Jill started Create.Craft.Love. as place to showcase her craftiness and to encourage others to do the same. Create.Craft.Love is a place where passion and creativity collide! Google

Comments

1. Pinning and sharif on FB and Google+… Love it!

2. Such a fantastic idea for simple, rustic decor! I love it, Jill!

3. This is too cute Jill! I need to put this on my ‘to make’ list! Love it!

4. Becky Garling says:

Where did you buy your burlap ribbon? I’ve never seen red before! Love this!

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

I found the red at Hobby Lobby! Thanks for stopping by, Becky!

• You can also buy burlap by the yard. It requires more cutting, but since you’re going to cut the ribbon anyway, it looks the same.
      A spool of burlap ribbon will cost anywhere from $3.50 – $6.00 depending on where you buy and how wide it is. Wal-Mart sells beige for $2.79 yd and Hobby Lobby has all colors for about $4 yard. Much cheaper for same look, just a tiny bit more work.

5. It’s a cute idea. My first thought was that there’s a chance that the lights could get so hot as to catch the burlap on fire. Is there fire retardant on the burlap? But I really like the way it looks!

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

The lights do not emit enough heat to worry about it catching on fire. The new lights are extremely low voltage. There is no flame retardant burlap that I am away of… Thanks for stopping by, Toni!

• Dorothy says:

Toni had the same thought as I did about fire. I may try this on a string of lights I purchased last year and did not use. Wonder how it would look on a tree?

6. What a fun and easy decor item. I shall put this on my “to do” list. I have a spot that needs a little something extra and this is it. Thanks Jill. :)
    -Tracy

7. This is lovely! The burlap looks so gorgeous with the lights behind it! I’m pinning it for future inspiration :)
    Visiting from the Monday Funday link party!

8. This is absolutely adorable. I love the simplicity of it!

9. Karen Sims says:

I love this idea, It fits my Christmas decor perfectly, Merry Christmas

10. So pretty! Thanks for sharing on the Monday Funday link party!

11. I have been all about burlap lately so I LOVE THIS!! How do you keep the burlap from fraying when tying it??

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

I didn’t! I let it fray so it would look more rustic! Thanks for stopping by, Mary!

12. Thank you for the idea. My son complained the other day when I took down the arched Christmas lights I had over the door outside. He said that it made him feel so good coming home late at night to it. I thought that strange and wonderful! So I’ve been wondering what I could do if I remove the fake pine garland to make something more suitable for spring and summer. This is a lovely idea!

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

It would look super cute with some fresh pastels! Thanks for stopping by, Maija!

13. thanks for the ldea. it is neat.

14. Terry Holland says:

OMG, I can’t believe how simple this is to do. For some reason I thought it was very difficult. Thank you for sharing. I love this idea.

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

Super easy! Takes longer to cut the burlap/fabric than to tie it to the string of lights! Thanks for stopping by, Terry!

15. What I love about this besides the simplicity is that one can substitute the Christmas theme for other seasons.
    Spring flowers, fall seed pods etc ….all with different colored burlap. Thanks for sharing this.

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

Absolutely! It would be super cute with pastels for Easter! Thanks for stopping by, Jeanne!

16. Debb Jeffries says:

How adorable and imaginative. Plus economical! Wish I would have thought of this but am adding this wonderful idea to my decorator steals!

17. I think I’ll do this in red and blue for the 4th of July! So cute!!

Trackbacks

1. […] Lighted Burlap Garland illuminates it in the evening and gives it a special […]