How to Organize Your Crafting Space

Do you need to organize your crafting space?

Hi, my name is Jill and I’m a craft hoarder.

There, I said it!

A couple of months ago, one of my many miscellaneous boxes containing various crafting supplies, fell on my husband’s head.  {Now, if I had a craft room this wouldn’t be an issue but I digress.}  However, my crafting supplies are stored in our master bedroom walk in closet.  The mess overwhelmed me and I just worked around it.  Until last weekend, when my husband declared it was time for the “blog to move out of the closet”.  He even offered to drive me to Target to get some bins or baskets to organize this disastrous cache of crafting paraphernalia.  I’m going to show you how to organize YOUR crafting space!

Warning:  The pictures I am about to show you are graphic and not meant for children’s eyes.  {That is if you ever want them to keep their own areas of the house clean.}  I am not proud of these pictures.

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space via createcraftlove.com #organization

Like I said, not proud of these pictures.  However, I feel it is  my duty as a blogger to show you that our lives are no where NEAR perfect.  And this is a perfect example of that.

Want a close up pic?  Here ya go!

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Recognize my Cupcake Liner Wreath?  Well, it broke when the box fell.

I went to Target and purchased 15 small tupperware bins {for $15!!! – what a steal!}.  I already had some Rubbermaid drawers that were overflowing {as seen in the above picture}.

Armed with my new plastic bins and trashed bags, I delved into the mess.

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Here is the end result!

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

I threw out a lot of things that I had been saving but hadn’t used yet.

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

Then I organized all the supplies into these bins organized by material.  There is a box for washi tape, one for ribbon, two for party supplies, etc…

Craft Hoarders - how to organize your crafting space #organization

My drawers are all organized now too!  The top three are extra materials.  The middle one is all my paper crafts such as vinyl, cardstock, etc.  The bottom two are filled with fabric and yarn.

SO MUCH BETTER!  {And the hubs is happy which is an added bonus!}  When I finished, Reed came in and said, “Good job, Mama!”

Three hours later I emerged victorious!  But during those three hours, I had plenty of time to do some thinking.  I can’t be the only one out there with this problem!  There must be others like me!  I have to find these people and form a support group!  So I did what all of us do when pondering life’s complex moments, I asked on Facebook.  The responses I got from bloggers and readers alike were absolutely HYSTERICAL!

{Hint:  Look for those responses in a future post!}

As a matter of fact, one of my bloggy friends had the EXACT same problem as me!  Amber from Crazy Little Projects is over in her corner of the blogosphere talking about how she organized her mess!

Beforeandafter

I just love her brightly colored bins on the built in shelves!  {She must have a bigger closet than me…LOL}

Check out her post here!

Are you a craft hoarder too?  Come on, you can tell me.  I won’t tell.  {hee hee}

Jill

About Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

Jill Fritz is a full time outside the home working mommy turned craft blogger. She offers craft/DIY tutorials for Pinterest addicts, craft junkies, DIY fanatics and busy mamas. Jill started Create.Craft.Love. as place to showcase her craftiness and to encourage others to do the same. Create.Craft.Love is a place where passion and creativity collide!
Google

Comments

1. Ah…what it must feel like to have space to move in your craft closet! I just moved my craft room / office to a different space and while I’ve been trying to get it organized…I haven’t quite gotten there yet. But you’ve inspired me!!!

2. I finally buckled down and cleaned my craft room before I had Eden. I knew that as soon as I had her, I would finally have the energy to craft and bake again. I found so many things that I forgot I had. Three bookshelves, one built in, 15 various sized rubbermaids and it was finally done. I need to figure something better for my fabric though… maybe I need to get another three drawer like you did:)

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

Crazy how it gets out of control! I found three black canvas tote bags that I bought and I can’t even remember what I was planning to do with them!

3. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who gets a little out of control (except my problem extends to the rest of the house too). Sometimes I “discover” things I totally forgot about because they were at the bottom of a pile. Thanks for the reminder there is hope to organize it!

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

I knew so many people would benefit from this post! LOL I found stuff I bought and can’t even remember what sort of project I bought them for!

4. You have no idea how much I needed this! We have a living space too small for our family so my craft space is a tiny corner in our dining room, which often takes over our dining room….. Thanks for the inspiration.

I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! You can check it out on my blog at the link below.

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

The dining room is another place where the blog explodes. It’s so hard to keep it all in the same area! Especially with having kids and needing to be out in the living parts of the house. Thanks for the nomination!

5. Oooh, I love your after shot,….nothing feels as good as organization. Good for you!!!!

6. Girl, I have the same problems – tons of washi tape, a PYP addiction, and stuff everywhere! Great job organizing! My issue is, we moved from a home where I had a closet IN my craft room to a home that does not have a closet in the craft room. I’m trying to figure out how to organize the space and love your ideas. Thanks for sharing!

7. Hi Jill, I saw your post on g+ and I had to stop by and see. I need all the help I can get – to get – organized… I’m inspired!! I see you mentioned that you threw away some stuff. Isn’t it funny how as soon as you “throw stuff” away, somehow you feel obliged to put “new stuff” in its place?? Happy shopping, lol… great inspiration, thanks.

8. I love it! It’s wonderful! btw: I blogged about spices today…so those little metal tins looked very familiar! ;) Congrats on your breath of fresh air! k.

9. Great job Jill! Isn’t it nice to “walk into” an organized space? I myself am still plugging away organizing my space but I’m happy to report I’ve since cleaned up the glitter dusted cobwebs and removed the tangled web of ribbons. No electricians have been ensnared since the writing of this comment :)

Amy*

10. OH MY GOSH, I can’t tell you how much I relate to this post. I started out housing my craft supplies with my linens in the small hallway closet, then all the linens eventually had to find a new area in the house, and NOW everyone in my family FEARS opening the closet (including myself) because we are nervously waiting for the mountain of craft supplies to fall down and smash one of us. Hahaha! I need to get on the ball and fix my problem! You did an AMAZING job! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

LOL – I knew people would be able to relate! It’s funny – I’ve kept the closet door open all week because I love how clean it looks! =)

11. Great job, Jill. I am afraid that my situation is much like your before pics! Argh. I don’t wanna, but I know I would be so much more productive if I took the time to do this. Good for you!

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

You can do it! {If you didn’t get it – that’s me cheering you on!} It really does feel nice to have it clean! =) Good luck!

12. This is inspiring me to turn the semi walk-in closet in my craft/guest bedroom into a functional closet for my supplies. Rather than just opening the door and tossing stuff in without looking, LOL.

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

LOL – sounds very similar to my previous method! I must say that when I started my project this afternoon, it was much easier since I knew exactly where everything was!

13. I’m new to the crafting world so I haven’t gathered TOO much stuff just yet but the stuff I do have is a mess. Everything is randomly around my guest room. If my husband ever went in there he would be shocked. Thanks for the post. I really need to get my crafting supplies under control now.

14. Jill, what an inspirational post. I’m ready to go tackle my crafting area … pssst, you aren’t the only one with a PYP problem ;)

15. Great job! Turned out wonderful. It’s inspiring me to tackle my own craft closet.

16. Hiya Jill! Reciprocating the visit from All My Happy Endings. I am thoroughly enjoying this peek into your world. Your photos and tutorials are inspiring, especially this one regarding the closet organization. Hits home! XOXO Mandi Roach

17. Wow Jill – looks so much more organized! Great job! Can you come over to my place and do my craft room too? Because mine looks like your before as well! You have me inspired to fight craftapocalypse too!

18. Woot Woot! YAY for organization… sorry it took me so long to get my booty over here :) Here’s to keeping the closet in tip-top shape!! Good luck with that {giggle}.

19. Oh WOW! Your blog was SO inspiring to me as well as humorous and very witty (I really do feel bad for the hubby’s head and all, but I couldn’t contain the laughter, Please apologize to him for me! ;) Thank you so much for your post! I’ve been searching all over the web for what seems like an ETERNITY for various idea’s, repurpose things, and all KINDS of organizing tips! Your post has LIT a FIRE in me and I am proud to say that STARTING TODAY I SHALL CONQUER this cluttered Craft/Office/Nook/work area! Thank you so much for having the willpower to post your before pics! I’m taking mine but sharing them on my blog………. Um….. Not sure if I’m THAT brave but we shall see. Perhaps I will be SO proud of my “After” pics that I won’t mind posting the (Cringe) “Before” pics! Happy Tuesday and keep up the wonderful, witty, humorous, and helpful Blog!

Trackbacks

1. [...] you want to see another version of craft organizing?  Check out my friend Jill’s post here at Create.Craft.Love. She was having the same issues that I [...]